Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ballad Poem By Lonnie Adrift

I'll tell a tale, a thrilling tale of love beyond compare
I knew a lad not long ago more gorgeous than any I've seen.
And in his eyes I found myself a'falling in love with the swain.
Oh, the glorious fellow I met by the ocean with eyes of deep- sea green!
He was a rugged sailor man with eyes of deep-sea green,
And I a maid, a tavern maid! Whose living was serving beer.
So with a kiss and with a wave, off on his boat he sailed
And left me on the dock, the thief! Without my heart, oh dear!
And with a heart that's lost at sea, I go living still.
I still am now still serving beer in that tavern by the sea.
And though the pay check's still the same, the money won't go as far
For now I feed not just myself, but my little one and me!
So let that be a lesson, dear, and keep your heart safely hid.
I gave mine to a sailor thief with gorgeous eyes of green.
Save yours for a sweeter lad who makes the land his home.
Ah me! If only I'd never met that sailor by the sea!
~Lonnie Adrift~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

great poem but whats the title?

Unknown said...

What happen to the persona in the poem...and why did the poet lonnie adrift write this poem...pls help me